Archives

House Museum Todor Kableshkov

31Aug

Here in 1851 in a wealthy family was born Todor Kableshkov – Chairman of the revolutionary committee in Koprivshtitsa and author of the Blood Letter. After the crush of the April Uprising Todor Kableshkov was captured. He committed suicide in Gabrovo Konak at the age of 25.
The house was built in 1845 in Plovdiv style by Koprivshtitsa master Gencho Mladenov by order of the rich tax-collector Lulcho Kableshkov. The building is distinguished by its symmetrical and beautiful forms, bay windows jutting over the street, beautiful pediment over the closed glazed kiosk, large glazed hall on the second floor, wood-carved ceilings, doors and cupboards.
The museum is open for visitors since 1952. Here is exposed the exhibition of the Community Centre which was given to the museum in 1931. The first museum of Koprivshtitsa tells the story of the traditional life within the town. The current exhibition shows the daily life of the wealthy families in Koprivshtitsa. Narrative and written historical sources tell about the life and work of Todor Kableshkov and represent episodes of the April Uprising and the volunteers in the Russo-Turkish war.

Opening hours for all Museums – Oslekova house, Lyutova house, House Museum Georgi Benkovski, House Museum Dimcho Debelyanov, Complex of houses Lyuben and Petko Karavelov and farm building, House Museum Todor Kableshkov

  • During the summer (April 1 – November 1) Museums are open from 9:30 to 17:30.
  • In winter (November 1 to April 1) – from 9:00 to 17:00.

The fallowing Museums are closed on:

  • Monday : House Museum Dimcho Debelyanov, House Museum Todor Kableshkov
  • Tuesdays: Lyutova house, Complex of houses Lyuben and Petko Karavelov, House Museum Georgi Benkovski

Museum Lyuben and Petko Karavelov

31Aug

Here were born Lyuben and Petko Karavelovi. Both of them remain in the history as persons who devoted their lives to Bulgaria. Lyuben Karavelov was publicist, journalist (“Svoboda”, “Nezavisimost”- organ of BRCC and popular science magazine “Znanie”), folklorist (collected, fixed and published Bulgarian national songs and customs in “Monument of popular customs of the Bulgarian”), writer (“Bulgarians from old times” and “Mummy’s child”), poet (“You are beautiful, my forest” and “I love you, my dear fatherland”) and ideologist of the national revolution (chairman of BRCC). Petko Karavelov is a famous politician and statesman – leader of the left wing of the Liberal Party, founder and chairman of the Democracy Party; Member of the Parliament (187901881, 1884-1886, 1894-1901) and chairman of ONA (I, II and IV), regent (1886), and four times Prime-Minister of Bulgaria (1880-1881, 1884-1886, 1886 and 1901), Minister of Finances, Minister of Public Education, Minister of Public Constructions, roads and facilities, Minister of Interior. He is also organizes the first the first meeting of the Bulgarian Literary Society after the liberation.
The complex has been built by local masters for 25 years. The oldest building is “the winter building” since 1810, after the last attack of Kyrdzhali over Koprivshtitsa. There is an ethnography composition exposed in the winter building which illustrates the traditional daily life of XIX century.
The second building made in 1820 is a farm building where specialities from Koprivshtitsa were dried and collected – flat sausages, kavarma, jerked meat, sausages, black-sausages that the father, Stoycho Karavelov, traded (in the backyard is to be seen as exhibit tube of pine-hollow which was used by the householders to mix the mince for the sausages. In this building there is a museum exhibition which tells the story of Lyuben Karavelov. One of the most interesting exhibits here is a printing press bought by Lyuben Karavelov from a Serbian printing establishment in 1871. It was used for print of the revolutionary newspapers of Karavelov and Botev, and later, after the liberation of Bulgaria, it was used to print the First Bulgarian Constitution.
The last building is a “summer house” with veranda (1835). The family used to live here during the summer.  Now is the house is placed a photo-exhibition which shows the life of Petko Karavelov – statesman and politician who actively took part on the discussions about the Tyrnovo Constitution.

Opening hours for all Museums – Oslekova house, Lyutova house, House Museum Georgi Benkovski, House Museum Dimcho Debelyanov, Complex of houses Lyuben and Petko Karavelov and farm building, House Museum Todor Kableshkov

  • During the summer (April 1 – November 1) Museums are open from 9:30 to 17:30.
  • In winter (November 1 to April 1) – from 9:00 to 17:00.

The fallowing Museums are closed on:

  • Monday : House Museum Dimcho Debelyanov, House Museum Todor Kableshkov
  • Tuesdays: Lyutova house, Complex of houses Lyuben and Petko Karavelov, House Museum Georgi Benkovski

Opening hours for all Museums – Oslekova house, Lyutova house, House Museum Georgi Benkovski, House Museum Dimcho Debelyanov, Complex of houses Lyuben and Petko Karavelov and farm building, House Museum Todor Kableshkov

  • During the summer (April 1 – November 1) Museums are open from 9:30 to 17:30.
  • In winter (November 1 to April 1) – from 9:00 to 17:00.

The fallowing Museums are closed on:

  • Monday : House Museum Dimcho Debelyanov, House Museum Todor Kableshkov
  • Tuesdays: Lyutova house, Complex of houses Lyuben and Petko Karavelov, House Museum Georgi Benkovski

House Museum Dimcho Debelyanov

31Aug

The home of the poet Debelyanov was rebuilt in 1957. It used to be a detached house where lived the families of his father and uncle.
In 1958 was opened Dimcho Debelyanov house-museum. There is an exposition which shows the short road of life and work of the poet. Valuable museum exhibits are his personal possessions from the front, a portrait of his mother, Tzana Ibrishimkoycheva and a portrait of the poet made by his close friend – Georgi Mishev.

The home of Dimcho Debelyanov still keeps the magic flowing from the poetry of the tenderest Bulgarian poet. As one enters the wooden gate he falls in picturesque courtyard with ancient pines and cherry decoration:
“Do you remember? Do you remember the
quiet courtyard, the quiet courtyard with white-flowers sour … ”

The tombstone of Debelyanov is work of Professor Ivan Lazarov – a statue of a forever waiting mother, sitting down on the doorstep of a gate, where a verse of “Silent Victory” is engraved:
“In a gentle reverie she waits,
For her child to come.”

Opening hours for all Museums – Oslekova house, Lyutova house, House Museum Georgi Benkovski, House Museum Dimcho Debelyanov, Complex of houses Lyuben and Petko Karavelov and farm building, House Museum Todor Kableshkov

  • During the summer (April 1 – November 1) Museums are open from 9:30 to 17:30.
  • In winter (November 1 to April 1) – from 9:00 to 17:00.

The fallowing Museums are closed on:

  • Monday : House Museum Dimcho Debelyanov, House Museum Todor Kableshkov
  • Tuesdays: Lyutova house, Complex of houses Lyuben and Petko Karavelov, House Museum Georgi Benkovski

House Museum Georgi Benkovski

31Aug

Gavril Hlatev (Georgi Benkovski) was born here in 1843. He was organizer and leader of the April Uprising, participant in Stara Zagora Uprising. After it failed, he went to Gyurgevo where he participated in meetings of the Gyurgevo Revolutionary Committee and was appointed as assistant of Panayot Volov in IV Panagyurski Revolutionary District. In the spring of 1876, during the uprising preparation of the uprising, he was said to be the leader himself. During the uprising he forms the famous detachment “The Flying Band”. After the defeat of the April uprising on 25th Ma he fell into an ambush of Turkish hordes in Kostina River in Teteven Balkan, where he found his doom.
The birthplace of Georgi Benkovski was built in 1831 and is a classic example of suburban wooden house with open veranda and lacy wooden bars.
In 1966 the house was repaired and refurbished as a museum. Photo exhibition traces the life and revolutionary activities of Gavril Gruev Hlatev (Georgi Benkovski). In the exposition is placed a cherry cannon donated by Mihail Madzharov.

Opening hours for all Museums – Oslekova house, Lyutova house, House Museum Georgi Benkovski, House Museum Dimcho Debelyanov, Complex of houses Lyuben and Petko Karavelov and farm building, House Museum Todor Kableshkov

  • During the summer (April 1 – November 1) Museums are open from 9:30 to 17:30.
  • In winter (November 1 to April 1) – from 9:00 to 17:00.

The fallowing Museums are closed on:

  • Monday : House Museum Dimcho Debelyanov, House Museum Todor Kableshkov
  • Tuesdays: Lyutova house, Complex of houses Lyuben and Petko Karavelov, House Museum Georgi Benkovski

Lyutova house

31Aug

Lyutova house is a unique monument of Renaissance architecture, mural paintings and woodcarvings. It was built in 1854 by masters of Plovdiv for Stefan Topalov – a cattle-drover and tax-collector from Koprivshtitsa.  Later the house was sold to the merchant Petko Liutov.
It consists of ground floor and lower floor with a symmetrical layout.  The external decoration is very frugal but the inner mural painting is rich and impressive. Double staircase leads visitors to the second floor where a unique ceiling is to be seen – a composition with an incredible combination of paintings and carvings. It is an ellipse with eight mural medallions that reflect exotic eastern landscapes. From the wooden arbor ceiling hang beautiful chandeliers. In the middle of the ceiling is located an oval wooden sun. The mural paintings and friezes – cornices and niches – are impressive with its exquisite craftsmanship. This rich wall decoration of the house is the second layer made around 1860, probably by order of the second owner, Petko Liutov.

Liutova house is now an ethnographic museum. On the ground floor, there are shown Koprivshtitsa authentic and permanent exhibition of original art by Maria Bodurova, which are donation of museums. The colorful rugs made of wool and were used to cover the floors, and as thick comfortable bedding. They are made at home through specific methods of milling and compression and are decorated with colored wool with natural dyes.
On the second floor is exposed a rose water fountain, which used to irrigate the air in the upper hall. In the blue room is reproduced the urban life of the late nineteenth century. The exposition shows a woman’s dress and a traditional home from Koprivsthitsa.

Opening hours for all Museums – Oslekova house, Lyutova house, House Museum Georgi Benkovski, House Museum Dimcho Debelyanov, Complex of houses Lyuben and Petko Karavelov and farm building, House Museum Todor Kableshkov

  • During the summer (April 1 – November 1) Museums are open from 9:30 to 17:30.
  • In winter (November 1 to April 1) – from 9:00 to 17:00.

The fallowing Museums are closed on:

  • Monday : House Museum Dimcho Debelyanov, House Museum Todor Kableshkov
  • Tuesdays: Lyutova house, Complex of houses Lyuben and Petko Karavelov, House Museum Georgi Benkovski

Oslekova house

31Aug

The house was built in the period between 1853 – 1856 by order of the wealthy cattle-drover Nencho Oslekov from Koprivshtitsa who later redirected his activities in the field of traditional Koprivshtitsa craft – homespun.
The house was built by master Usta Mincho from Samokov and the mural paintings are the work of Costa Zograf. Specific for it is the broken symmetry. Due to the narrow field the house remains with a central part and one wing. The facade lies on a structure resting on consoles of three Lebanese cedars. The house has two floors and a sunken cellar.    A double staircase with a beautiful wooden railing leads to the second floor. Impressive are the murals in blue and the red guest rooms, numerous niches, medallions and landscapes. Impressive are also the three large mural landscapes on the gable outside, depicting views of Alexandria, Cairo and Istanbul.

Nencho Oslekov participated in the preparations for April Uprising – in his homespun shop were made the clothes for the participants in the uprising. Because of this activity after the suppression of the uprising, Nencho Osekov was captured and hanged in Plovdiv

In 1956 it was turned into an ethnographic museum where the tourists can experience the traditional lifestyle, local crafts and national clothes. Exhibited are festival and casual women’s clothes from the nineteenth century, as well as traditional male clothes and a costume of the wealthy man from Koprivshtitsa. In Oslekova house visitors can see great examples of the famous sewed lace from Koprivshtitsa, women’s jewels from the mid-nineteenth century, hookahs and long pipes brought from Asia.

Opening times for all Museums – Oslekova house, Lyutova house, House Museum Georgi Benkovski, House Museum Dimcho Debelyanov, Complex of houses Lyuben and Petko Karavelov and farm building, House Museum Todor Kableshkov

  • During the summer (April 1 – November 1) Museums are open from 9:30 to 17:30.
  • In winter (November 1 to April 1) – from 9:00 to 17:00.

The fallowing Museums are closed on:

  • Monday : House Museum Dimcho Debelyanov, House Museum Todor Kableshkov
  • Tuesdays: Lyutova house, Complex of houses Lyuben and Petko Karavelov, House Museum Georgi Benkovski